Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Baking


Over the summer I decided I wanted to learn to make delicious bread. I have since learned to make English muffins, french bread, Baguettes, Pita bread, Italian bread, and various types of rolls. I have really loved making bread and have enjoyed eating hot bread smothered in butter even more! Goodness I sure love my Carbohydrates and saturated fats. 

Baking my own bread has been awesome for reasons other than making my butt size expand. The first being that I have control over the ingredients used. This has been great with Peanut since she has milk and soy allergies. It becomes frustrating when you read the label and find that soy is in almost EVERYTHING! Most store bought items like bread and crackers are out of the question because of soy. Another benefit of making my own bread is that it is a lot cheaper to make bread especially, specialty breads such as English Muffins and Pita Bread. Finally, it is helping me build a skill that can be used to help create memories with my children (hopefully positive ones to boot). I have so many memories of eating warm bread with my Grandma and helping her make cinnamon rolls for Halloween. Some of my most cherished memories are those of time spent in the kitchen cooking and baking together as a family.   

Lately Peanut has been wanting to help as I bake and cook. So I let her help while making bread by giving her some utensils and a big pile of flour to play with. I think the following pictures show how much she enjoys it!





      
I love watching her explore with something new! Goodness, I also love that Peanut is getting older so she can "help" more often. It also means we can do more sensory activities! I love sensory activities! Now I just need to find a way to make a cheep sensory table...

-Dooney

No comments:

Post a Comment