Friday, March 29, 2013

The results are in...



I remember when the Germ and I were dating (pretty seriously) and he told me that he was thinking about going to medical school. At first I felt really nervous because the processes seemed endless and the challenges we would face during schooling and residency were not something to be looked forward too. His uncle who went the physical therapy route, told him that medical school may be a challenge on his marriage and who ever he married would have to be flexible, understanding, and willing to do things on her own. "Am I that girl? Can I do that?' I remember wondering (and have wondered off and on since). The answer I received then (and now)  was "Yes!" Yes, I can do hard things! Yes! I can adapt, change, and do the things required of me! Yes! I can do my part to make sure our marriage stays healthy and strong during this time and always ( side note-I hate it when people give me "advice" and tell me about the increased chances of divorce with him going though medical school because that is not "advice"). I can do what is required to help my husband and our family reach our goals. Does that mean it is going to be easy? NO! I have no illusions about that because the process thus far has not been easy. There were many conversations about the "what ifs" such as, "what if we don't make it in." The added class load, working full time, endless studying for the MCAT, the hours of shadowing and volunteering, applications, interviews, and the endless waiting game have not been easy either. By far that has been the worst part has been the endless waiting game,  waiting for the MCAT score, waiting for interviews, and waiting for acceptance (and rejections), and so on. The last seven months we have been waiting to find out where we were going for sure, unable to plan on where our future will lead us. FINALLY, we are able to make that decision! We are going to....



YAKIMA WASHINGTON!



We could not be more excited! It is such a relief to be able to say where we are going. The last few months of being in "limbo" was not our favorite stage to be in.  We have been tremendously blessed! The fact the he was accepted to three schools is pretty amazing especially, considering that the amount of medical school applications turned in this year were up by 30 to 40 percent, making it even more difficult to get in. I am proud of the Germ and all the hard work the he has put into this process.  I am excited for our new adventure ahead of us!

The moral of the story is, "Life is going to be challenging no matter what, so work toward your goals!'

-Dooney

PS. We graduate in just a few weeks :)

    

Wedding day - when our adventure started

No comments:

Post a Comment